Post-History of the Regina Indian Industrial School
Janine Windolph, one of our Multimedia Producers and director of RIIS from Amnesia, assembled together this timeline from research at the Saskatchewan Archives, and other various resources.
1911 – Mr. McAra is mayor.
1911 - After the RIIS closed, the building was used as the city jail.
1911 – The Methodist Church registers first students in Regina College.
1912 – Mr. McAra is mayor.
1912 – June 30th, a tornado, the "Regina Cyclone," devastated the city, killing 28, injuring hundreds and destroying more than 400 buildings.
1914 – Eleanor Brass’s career began when “Breaking the Barriers appeared in the Leader and she wrote for Melville Advance.”
1919 - The building that was once the Regina Indian Industrial School, then a city jail, became the boy's detention house.
1920 - Deputy Superintendent General of Indian Affairs Duncan Campbell Scott makes residential school attendance compulsory
1921 – November 14th – A letter was written to Mr W. H. Graham the Commissioner of Indian Affairs from the Women’s Missionary Society (WMS) of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. Letter was written because of a motion made on November 4th. Motion read
“That Mrs. McAra write Commissioner Graham, asking if something definite cannot be done in regard to the cemetery at the Old Regina Industrial School; that he petition the federal government to put in good order; that it may be kept sacred to the memory of the Indians and the lasting memorial to the memory of our beloved Rev. A. J. McLeod, who founded the school and whose children lie in this little plot side by side with the Indian children.” Mrs. McAra is the wife of the mayor Mr. McAra.
1935 – Regina Riot
1940 – The Normal School closes down in Regina.
1944 – Eleanor Brass, daughter of Marybelle Cote and Frederick Dieter (students of RIIS), was the first women to serve as secretary-treasurer of Association of Indians of Saskatchewan.
1944 – November – Harvey Dreaver, son of Joseph Dreaver (256) of RIIS, was killed in action.
“Sergeant Harvey Dreaver, son of Chief Joe Dreaver of the Mistawasis Band was killed in action during the battle of Leopold Canal and is buried at Adegem Canadian War Cemetery” Pg 10 of The Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan: A Living Legacy.
Online Memorial of Harvey Dreaver. http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/memorials/canadian-virtual-war-memorial/Detail/2082964
1944 - Senior Indian Affairs officials argue for policy shift from residential to day schools
1948 – The building that was RIIS, burns down. Later to be replaced by the Paul Dojack Centrethat is east of the old building. The part with the cemetery remained in ownership of the federal government for many years.
1958 - Indian Affairs Regional Inspectors recommend abolition of residential schools
1970s – The property containing the cemetery remained in the ownership of the Federal Government for many years.
1976 – Saskatchewan Indian Federated College is opened.
1979 – Eleanor Brass wrote “Medicine Boy and Other Cree Tales”
1989- The land where the cemetery was located had switched hands from private land owners.
1987 – Eleanor Brass wrote “I Walk in Two Worlds”
1991 - The University of Toronto gave Eleanor Brass an honorary degree.
1992 – Eleanor Brass died.
2003 – Saskatchewan Indian Federated College becomes First Nation’s University of Canadaopens its doors by a building designed by Douglas J. Cardinal, a First Nation’s Architect.
2012 - STANTEC, an engineering firm surveyed the 680-square-metre area on the western edge of the city and found there was a minimum of 22 grave sites and possibly 40.
2014 - In April, STANTEC, conducts further tests 15 feet from fence excluding the entrance side and find another 6 graves south of the grave. None on the east of the fence. Now estimates are at 35 graves.
2014 – In June 8th the Concerned Citizens group hosted intergenerational survivor gathering for the students of the Regina Indian Industrial School.
2014 – June 25th the first gathering of the Aboriginal Cemetery Group to discuss what can be done for the cemetery on Pinkie Road.